On June 3, 1938, a meeting was held in the office of Williamson Mayor J.M. Smith by persons interested in forming a housing authority. E.F. Randolph was chosen chairman pre tem of the authority at that meeting, and S.P. Goodman was chosen secretary pro tem.
At the gathering, four resolutions were passed. The first organized the housing authority while the second gage it the name. The third set up a seal for the authority and the fourth set up by-laws. Officers were elected, with Randolph elected chairman, R.M. Rowland as vice chairman and Goodman as temporary secretary-treasurer. Other authority members were Wade H. Bronson and John. C. Strosnider.
Thus the beginning of the Housing Authority of the City of Williamson, and that beginning laid the groundwork for the construction of public housing at two sites. On November 25, 1940, ground was broken in West Williamson and on Vinson Street for the construction of two projects of low-rent housing.
Victoria Courts was named for Mrs. Victoria Williamson. Mrs. Williamson was the mother of H.T. Williamson, who was a pioneer resident of the community and owned the land on which the project was to be constructed. Williamson Terrace was named for W.J. Williamson, the founder of the City of Williamson.
While the work was begin done on the two projects, the tenant selection office opened on April 1, 1941 and applications were accepted for housing. The projects were ready for occupancy on October 1, 1941, and both hand complete occupancy by February of 1942.
Since those two projects were constructed, the Authority has added 102 units of housing at Goodman Manor. Goodman Manor, located at the corner of Fourth Avenue and Harvey Street was dedicated on April 27, 1975. The Manor was named after S.P. Goodman, of the Authority’s founds and its first Executive Director. Also added were 36 units of two, three and four bedroom housing at Liberty Street, just off Vinson Street. Liberty Heights, the last project built by the Authority was started on October 29, 1980 and completed on May 17, 1982.